- The feeling of getting away from it all on a quick overnight mission not far from town
- A stunning beach to bivi on under the stars with not a light in sight
- A there and back ride completely on trail following the edge of Lake Wanaka
- Last toilet is at the start of the Minaret Burn Track. There is no toilet at the end point of the ride, so plan ahead and pack it out!
- The trail as described here takes you to the beach and old ruined homestead just before reaching Station Creek. Strictly speaking this is station land, but bivi’ing on the beach on the marginal strip close to the water should be ok. Just beyond this creek is a small DOC reserve (see it here on the WAMS website) which runs between road and the lake, where you can also set up for the night.
- If the wind is Nor’West (i.e. probably howling!) then you can find shelter behind the kanuka just next to the beach. Don’t camp further back into the taller poplars as this is station land and camping is not allowed without permission.