- Riding a giant crystalline frozen playground under a full moon on a windless winter night!
- Quick access to the high ground, sunning yourself while Wanaka sulks in the inversion.
- If you are daring then you can of course camp or snow cave in the Pisa Conservation area. If you dig a cave – let us know!
- Access is via the Snow Farm Access Road off the Cardrona Valley Road, 23kms from Wanaka. You can leave your car at the Snow Farm base building – just let staff know you will be staying overnight.
- There is a road toll of $20 payable at the honesty box at the top of the road, unless you are buying a pass to use the Snow Farm trails in which case it is included.
- You will need a Snow Farm trail pass if you wish to access the hut using their cross country trail network in winter, $40/day. Summer trail access is free.
- Check conditions before you go: call Snow Farm 03 443 7542.
- Kirtle Burn Hut is a basic DOC six bunk hut. There is no heating (not a tree in sight up here!) so it can be pretty icy by morning – bring the big feather bag for this mission! No cooking facilities and you will be melting snow in winter so bring enough fuel for melting duties.
- Meadow Hut and Bob Lee Hut are both owned and operated by Snow Farm NZ, and can serve for an extra night accommodation. They are both heated with wood stoves (fuel provided), so are great when the temperature plummets, or for a bigger social ride.